NOW HIRING: REVIEWS EDITOR
Do you have strong opinions about the Canadian literary community? Do you have the editorial chops and a desire to work with emerging reviewers? Do you want to play a role in shaping Canada’s literary conversation?
If so, you should throw your hat into the ring to become The Ex-Puritan’s new Reviews Editor!
We are currently looking for a dedicated individual to work alongside our existing reviews editor, EJ Kneifel, starting with our Spring 2023 issue (beginning in March 2023)
THE REVIEWS EDITOR WILL:
- Read through and select, with the co-editor, three reviews per issue.
- Request review copies for editors and/or reviewers when necessary.
- Solicit reviews when necessary.
- Send out acceptance and rejection emails prior to the publication of the next issue.
- Actively work to diversify the demographic of reviewers and books reviewed, prioritizing reviews by/of disabled writers, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ writers, and other marginalized writers.
- Edit accepted pieces and coordinate with the authors to meet the publishing deadline.
- Notify publishers when reviews of their work are published online.
- Attend and participate in regular masthead meetings.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Knowledge of and interest in contemporary Canadian literature, literary communities, and magazine publishing
- Excellent grasp of grammar and copyediting conventions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with MS programs and WordPress
- The ability to meet strict deadlines
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
Interested candidates should familiarize themselves with the magazine, its history, and the work it publishes, then send a cover letter and resume (or CV) as .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment to [email protected]. Cover letters should answer the following questions: 1) What draws you to The Ex-Puritan in particular? 2) What experience, if any, do you have as a reviews editor? 3) What makes you specifically suited for the role of reviews editor? Applications are due by February 10.
This is a volunteer position, currently receiving a $250 honorarium per quarterly issue.
The Ex-Puritan is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and prioritizes applications from candidates who identify with historically marginalized groups and underserved communities. First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America are strongly encouraged to apply as well as racialized people, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as 2SLGBTQ+. If you require any accommodations during the application and hiring process, please let us know.